Thursday, March 18, 2010

Eventful Couple of Days

Well, we've had an eventful couple of days. On Tuesday evening, we got the boys to bed. Josh was getting ready to go to be early and I sat down at the computer to play some mind numbing games on Facebook. In the back on my mind I noticed the smell of gas. I kept trying to pull up the game and it would not come up! I tried several times to get the game pulled up while trying to decide if I was really smelling gas. Josh came into the family room to give me a kiss good night when he noticed the smell of gas, as well. So, we decided to go downstairs and check our water heater. When we opened the door into the laundry room, the smell was a lot stronger. I ran and got Josh some soapy water so he could try to find the leak and then I called the gas company.

They immediately dispatched someone out to our house and he got here within 15 or 20 minutes. Anyway, he took his little machine and started testing the area. I knew it wasn't good when he got right by the water heater and it started making lots of noise. Turns out the flex piping had been turned at too tight of an angle and it finally had started to fail and leak. He then realized that the water heater vented out underneath the family room addition. He immediately tagged the water heater and turned the gas off to it.

He wanted to check the gas furnace "just as a precaution." Well, in checking the furnace he discovered that it had been installed improperly and illegally. There is supposed to be a tube to drain water into a drain. Guess what! No tube, no drainage. He also told us that there wasn't enough clearance from the furnace to the walls around it. It was an open combustible furnace that would shoot out fire about 4-6 inches. There wasn't enough clearance and he was amazed that we hadn't had a fire. He checked the gas line with his little machine and it indicated a small leak too. SHEESH! So, he turned the gas off to the furnace and the entire house.

He finally left about midnight and we went to bed, sick to our stomachs with worry about what we were going to do. In the morning, I called Aire Force One here in town and they were able to come that morning. I told them what had happened and they inspected everything. During their inspection, they discovered the furnace was venting out underneath the family room as well. Illegal! So, they ended up ripping out the old furnace yesterday and made plans for how to vent the new one properly.

This morning they came bright and early to start installing the proper venting and are working on installing the furnace as I type. They ended up having to drill holes through the tenants pantry, through her bathroom, and into the spare bedroom closet before turning to take it outside. Looks like we have some patching to do ahead of us but they are doing a good job. I'm grateful that it is being done properly and to code.

Fortunately, for the tenant, she didn't have any effects from the carbon monoxide and her heating is electrical so she is warm. Also, she has her own water heater which is electric so the only inconvenience she is having is having 3 burly men tromping around in her apartment ripping through walls. Thankfully, she is very understanding about the whole ordeal.

As soon as they get done installing the furnace, they plan on remedying the water heater. From what I understand, they are going to fix all the tubes and flex pipe to be like it should be. Then they will fix the venting issue by extending the vent tubes out to the outside. They say they will be able to do it in a way that is legal and cheap. THANK HEAVENS! The bid for the furnace, reconnection to the air conditioning unit, labor, materials, etc. is about $4,500. YIKES!

Anyway, that is where we are at. I'll keep you posted on the progress. I really hope they can get it done today. We shall see .....

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Scary! Heavenly Father is sure watching out for your sweet little family! I'm so glad you were able to figure this out before something terrible happened!!

Bonna said...

That's horrible Kjerstin! I'm really glad that you are all OK and that it is being fixed. Sorry about the cost though! That stinks!!

Carli W. said...

Yikes! I'm glad you are all OK and that nothing horrible to any of you happened! It's always a comfort to know you're being watched over!

Shantel said...

What a mess!!! I'm glad you're all right and getting things taken care of! It's a good thing you were up playing facebook games and caught that smell! Who says facebook is a waste of time?! :-) I say it's a life saver!!

Evelyn Perkins said...

I know you already told me this story, but it still horrifies me when I read it again. So scary!!!!