Saturday, July 19, 2008

Girls Camp! -

I am back from Girl’s Camp and I survived! I actually had an amazing time and really had a ton of fun! Tuesday morning, the morning we left, was crazy! J’s mom came to watch P for the first two days. I was busy showing her where everything was and getting her situated. I went to the church to get ready to leave and realized I had forgotten several things and had to come back. Anyway, after a few trips back and forth, I finally was ready to go. Luckily, we had a few slow straggler girls so they weren’t waiting for me!

There is a man in our stake, Kermit Morrison, who let us camp on his land outside of Lava Hot Springs. It is absolutely gorgeous up there and I want to go back. We set up camp and just played around. That night we had our skits. About 15 minutes before skit time, us leaders (me, Earlene Porter, and Danielle Ward) realized that we hadn’t planned a skit so we came up with one really quick, thanks to Earlene! It was basically Earlene going out and setting up the beautiful table for dinner. Then Danielle went out and pretended to eat the meal. My turn came next and all I had to go was give a belch. I am so proud of myself because I belched the loudest, manliest belch I have ever accomplished without the aide of soda! Anyway, the girls and priesthood leaders were absolutely shocked and loved it! In their eyes, I am a quiet and reserved Sister Lind and they hadn’t seen that side of me yet. I am proud to say that I have carried on the tradition of the “Cool Leader That Burps” that my mom began.

The second day we had our 5 mile hike, all up a very steep mountain road. I have asthma and only made it part way before I had to hop into the truck with Earlene and Roger. (It is weird to call him Roger … he will always be President Porter in my eyes!) The views from the top were breathtaking. Idiot me left my camera sitting at camp. Hopefully some of the leaders and girls will share their photos with me. After the hike, we just relaxed and crafted. I got the most enormous sliver and Pres. Porter came to the rescue with his big pocket knife.

The third day we went down to Lava Hot Springs and floated the river. I was very scared and was not sure that I would do it. Much to the pushing of Elisa Payne, our assistant camp director, I went … and had so much fun! Luckily, my tube didn’t flip and I didn’t get scraped up. Sadly, some of the young women did get some scrapes and cuts but nothing serious. Overall, we had a ton of fun. Later that evening, the Bishop led some teamwork workshops for the young women. It was an amazing experience to see them struggle and finally work together to get the task at hand done. The worst part was that we leaders were not allowed to help or give any advice. I had the hardest time because I wanted to help so badly. But, in the end, I realized that I was learning a lesson myself. I realized that I need to take a step back and let them (my young women, my own son, my friends, and my family) make their own choices even if they are the wrong ones. I think that was my very favorite part of the entire camp experience.

The fourth day we just packed up and went home. Hopefully, I can get some pictures to share later. I hope you don’t mind my travel log! Have a great week!


The Adams family said...

Glad to hear you had fun! We leave next week. Have any good suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home and safe? Where was the hike and when did you get asthma...I mean I know you had it..but it never seemed to affect anything we did! Glad you made it safe! See ya tomorrow!